Pythonwin Debugger Overview
We take full advantage of Scintilla from Neil Hodgson (see scintilla.org) This offers a much better interface, including Visual C++/VB type indicators for breakpoints in the left column, etc
This document gives a general overview of the Pythonwin Debugger package.
- If you are using or looking at this package for the first time, you should check out the debugger tutorial.
- For reference information, check out the general debugger documentation
- If something doesn't work, please read the known problems with the debugger before mailing me!
This package is a general-purpose debugger for Python on Win32 platforms. It is a full-blown GUI debugger with the following features:
- Works from almost any Python program - be it inside Pythonwin, a console "Python.exe" program - even from within a COM object hosted by Visual Basic or Microsoft Internet Explorer (but not from a Tkinter app, apparently?)
- MSVC style debugging interface, including breakpoint etc indicators in the margin, and dockable debugging windows.
- Call-stack display lets you see each individual stack entry, and examine the local and global variables.
- Iinteractive window fully operarable in the context of the code being debugged!
There used to be more out-of-date stuff here, but not any more :-) The tutorial is also a little out of date, but is worth following along with (but as you notice the old screen shots, say a praise for Scintilla!)
- For questions or comments about the debugger, send email to MarkH@ActiveState.com (Mark Hammond).